An elderly man was rescued and bedroom furniture was extensively damaged by fire at a Ta' Giorni apartment on Tuesday afternoon.

The blaze, at about 4pm is thought to have started from an electric blanket, neighbours on the scene said.

An elderly man who lives in the apartment, was rescued by firemen of the Civil Protection Department and the police.

He was treated for smoke inhalation on the scene. 

READ: Three treated after heating appliance sparks fire in Birkirkara flat

Sign up to our free newsletters

Get the best updates straight to your inbox:
Please select at least one mailing list.

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By subscribing, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing.