Updated 2.30 with police statement that they acted to disperse the crowd.

Ħamrun supporters appear to have flouted social distancing and mask-wearing regulations late on Wednesday after the team’s 3-0 victory over Valletta.

In a game at the Hibs Stadium, the Spartans brushed aside Valletta in a dominant display.

A video being shared on social media show supporters in a spontaneous celebration of their team’s victory. Most are not wearing a face mask.

The video doing the rounds on social media.

The club had earlier asked supporters on its Facebook page to celebrate from their homes and with their families and to obey the instructions being given.

“Don’t fret, the time when we will be able to return to the ground will come,” it said.

“Don’t worry because you are going to be at home. Your support will still be felt."

In a statement, Malta's football fan base Southend Core condemned the behaviour but implied it might have been prevented had the football ground been open for supporters.

This was because there would have been more organisation and control, it said. It asked what was the difference between stadia and political meetings in villages, between people seated in an outdoor venue and people seated in closed theatres.

Local football leagues, it said, were nearing a delicate stage and there would surely be spontaneous celebrations if stadiums remained closed.

It urged for a trial to be held with a small number of supporters being allowed in the stadium starting with the Malta-Russia international on March 24.

South End Core proposed allowing a total of 1,600 people inside a ground that can take 16,000.

If the trial did not lead to COVID-19 cases being spread among participants, it said, the same experiment could be implemented for the April 9 and 11 matchdays. Other games in smaller stadia could have even fewer participants, it proposed.

Police say they acted to disperse the crowd

When questioned by Times of Malta, the police said that as soon as they were informed about the crowd, officers from the Hamrun Police District and the Rapid Intervention Unit went on site to disperse it.

"During these situations, the priority is always to ensure that any groups are separated as quickly as possible," the police said. 
"It must be noted that the people were mostly in their vehicles and as soon as the police arrived, they scattered and left. Further inspections continued in Triq il-Kbira San Guzepp and any people that were celebrating in their cars were promptly removed," the police said. 
Investigations on the matter are still ongoing.

Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us