The €1 million reward offered by the government to anyone who comes forward with tangible information that could lead investigators to the perpetrator of Monday’s attack is still available, despite the family’s refusal to endorse it.
Sources close to the government said the fact that Daphne Caruana Galizia’s three sons refused to endorse the reward being offered, did not mean it was being withdrawn.
In a Facebook post, Matthew, Andrew and Paul said the reward will not change anything that their mother had been fighting for.
“We are not interested in justice without change. We are not interested in a criminal conviction only for the people in government who stood to gain from our mother’s murder to turn around and say that justice has been served.
“Justice, beyond criminal liability, will only be served when everything that our mother fought for – political accountability, integrity in public life and an open and free society – replaces the desperate situation we are in,” they said.
“The government is interested in only one thing: its reputation and the need to hide the gaping hole where our institutions once were. This interest is not ours.
The government is interested in only one thing: its reputation
“Neither was it our mother’s. A government and a police force that failed our mother in life will also fail her in death.
“The people who for as long as we can remember sought to silence our mother cannot now be the ones to deliver justice,” they added.
“The name of the person who did this will remain a footnote in the history of how our state was dismantled, taken apart piece by piece and devoured by the criminal and the corrupt,” they said as they called on Prime Minister Joseph Muscat to shoulder political responsibility by resigning.
“Then we won’t need a million-euro reward and our mother wouldn’t have died in vain.”