Some 1,400 submissions have been filed with the Planning Authority over the controversial Central Link roadworks project.  

In a statement, lobby group Attard Residents Environmental Network said on Tuesday that the window for public submissions had now closed and the reams of representations had requested that the project be improved on a number of fronts.

Last month, Times of Malta reported how over 1,000 signatures had been collected in support of the controversial €55 million infrastructure project, which is meant to alleviate traffic congestion in Attard's village core.

Spearheaded by the Malta Automobile Club, the campaign was launched in reaction to numerous objections submitted to the Planning Authority.

Read: €55m road project goes against government's own transport policies

Residents insist the project, which stretches from the Mrie─žel bypass to the foot of Saqqajja Hill on the outskirts of Rabat, would attract even more traffic.

However, their main objection revolves around the proposal to construct a bypass adjacent to residents' properties, which, they say, would split the village in two and bring more emissions closer to their homes.

Meanwhile, the residents' lobby group pointed out that, as currently proposed, the project would lead to "the obliteration and complete destruction of over 450 trees, 4,8000 square metres of arable land, destruction of the livelihoods of 47 farmers."

"Worse still, the proposed project as presented, will be factually attracting more traffic towards Attard area and will consequentially increase pollution levels," the lobby group said. 

It also said that it would  be organizing itself as a registered voluntary organization and will be actively involving itself in current and future projects involving Attard.

Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us