The report about the city cab engulfed in flames (March 28) cites the incident as having taken place at Quarry Wharf. The use of this appellation based on recent official maps is a disservice to history and the world-class quarantine service of the past.
The place is properly known as Barriera Wharf – Xatt il-Barriera, from the hardstone bollards (there was no quarry) that served as a temporary quarantine barrier for new arrivals before being allowed into Valletta via Nix Mangiari Steps.
Two inscriptions were installed on the new fish market in 1937 to recall the history of the site, and its new function.
Extant buildings at Barriera Wharf are scheduled Grade 1 National Monuments (Government Notice No.276/08).
See also ‘Barriera not quarry behind wharf’s name’ in The Times, June 22, 2011.