Time seemed to stand still as the Montenegro sail training ship Jadran (Serbo-Croat for ‘Adriatic Sea’) left Grand Harbour on May 10 after a short visit.
The ship first visited Malta in 1937. She berthed in Dockyard Creek with Senglea parish church and the Shoreham Class sloop HMS Weston providing the background to the photograph.
The Jadran is now over 80 years old, having been built for Yugoslavia in 1931. She was taken over by the Italian navy in 1941 and renamed Marco Polo.
Later, in a derelict state, she ignominiously served as a bridge on a Venetian canal. After the war she was returned to Yugoslavia. Upon the break-up of that country, she went to the Serbia-Montenegro navy and is now owned by the latter.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us