Senglea Athletic 2
Lija Athletic 2

Senglea Athletic warmed up for their upcoming promotion play-off with a 2-2 draw against Lija Athletic.

The Cottonera side surged into a two-goal lead inside the first 30 minutes. But then they rested on their laurels and Lija crawled themselve back to take a point.

Senglea started brightly.

On 17 minutes they took the lead when Emiliano Lattes beat the offside trap and served Ryan Dalli who drilled the ball home.

Six minutes later Senglea doubled the score when Lattes passed towards Juan Manuel Artiaga Roa who rounded a defender and beat Rizzo with a precise grounder.

After this double setback Lija started to play better and on 33 minutes Erjon Beu missed a glorious chance in front of goal following an Ige Adeshina header.

Two minutes from the break Lija pulled one back when Michael Borg curled the ball home from a free-kick.

On 74 minutes Senglea should have wrapped up the match when Lattes ran through from the half way line but shot incredibly over the bar.

Senglea paid dearly for this miss as Lija drew level on 77 minutes courtesy of a low shot by Patrick Borg.

Senglea: J. Martinelli, J. Farrugia, R. Vella (C. Cuschieri), K. Tanti, F. Guzman, M. Del Negro, R. Dalli, J.M. Artiaga Roa, S. Grech (B. Zerafa), E. Lattes, M. Ciantar (G. Calleja).

Lija: K. Rizzo, C. Giordemaina, P. Babic, L. Muscat, P. Borg, E. Beu, A. Borg, M. Borg (A. Galea), A. Caruana (M. Clinch), B. Antignolo (R. Taliana), A. Ige Adeshina.

Referee: Sandro Spiteri.

Best player: Emiliano Lattes (Senglea Athletic).

Gudja United 3
Mqabba 7

Gudja United bid farewell to Division One football in the worst possible manner after suffering a heavy 7-3 defeat to Mqabba.

After only four minutes, Paul Chimezie sped into the area, rounded the Gudja goalkeeper but he incredibly hit the upright in front of a gaping goal.

Instead it was Gudja who took the lead on six minutes with Didier Sohna hitting home from close in.

Mqabba drew level on 13 minutes when Chimezie lobbed the ball home from an Arilson cross.

The Mqabba striker struck again two minutes later when he hit a low drive that nestled into the net.

On 18 minutes Arilson put his name on the scoresheet when he beat Azzopardi with a precise lob.

Gudja were now clearly struggling and on 27 minutes Chimezie set up Arilson who made it 4-1.

Chimezie completed his hat-trick on 32 minutes when he beat Jean Carl Azzopardi with a low drive.

On 39 minutes a David Azzopardi shot hit the upright.

On 46 minutes, Gudja pulled one back through Sohna .

Mqabba were still on top and on 61 minutes David Azzopardi made it six with a fierce drive.

Claudio Calleja added a seventh goal on 71 minutes with a volley.

Jadeem Waseem scored Gudja’s third goal late on.

Gudja: J.C. Azzopardi, D. Bonnici, G. Chircop, T. Nappa Licari (I. Cachia), S. Micallef, C. Grech, D. Martini, A. Cutajar (C. Frendo), J. Ciantar (J. Coleiro), J. Waseem, D. Sohna.

Mqabba: B. Debono, B. Grech (C. Cutajar), C. Farrugia, A. Abela, G. Adamovic (J. Callus), M. Bonnici (K. Azzopardi), M. Baldacchino, Arilson, C. Calleja, D. Azzopardi, P. Chimezie.

Referee: Etienne Mangion.

Best player: Paul Chimezie (Mqabba).

Playing today: (Centenary Stadium) 19.30 San Ġwann vs Pieta; (Tedesco Stadium) 19.30 Vittoriosa vs Melita