Q: Three months ago I purchased and installed new, white, aluminium-framed windows with double glazing. I recently noticed that one of the windows has two small cracks on the same side, one at the top and the other at the bottom. Furthermore, the bedroom window has a very big crack that spans from one side to the other. 

I have asked the opinion of a professional what he thinks is the reason why the windows cracked and was told that most probably the windows were not manufactured properly and have a missing part between the glass and the frame that is causing them to crack.

I would like to know if I have the right to complain to the company and request that the cracked windows are replaced at no extra cost?

A: If the window apertures have a manufacturing defect which is causing these cracks, then the company that supplied you with these windows is legally obliged to provide you with a free of charge solution. Hence, you should immediately report the damaged windows and ask the seller to replace them. If the company refuses to provide you with an acceptable solution you will then need to make your complaint to the trader in writing by sending a registered letter to officially inform him about the damaged windows and your request for a remedy. In case the trader does not reply to your complaint offering you a solution, you may then lodge a complaint with the Office for Consumer Affairs.


Comments not loading?

We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Comments powered by Disqus