The father of Jules Bianchi claims his family are currently "living a nightmare", but insists his son "will not give up" his fight for life.
In the wake of Bianchi's horrific accident during the Japanese Grand Prix on October 5, Philippe Bianchi has revealed Jules' situation is "desperate" and it is "a miracle" he is still alive.
Marussia driver Bianchi, 25, suffered a diffuse axonal injury to his brain, where the damage is more widespread, following a crash into a recovery vehicle at Suzuka.
Upon his arrival at the Mie General Medical Centre in Yokkaichi, the Frenchman underwent immediate surgery, but remains in a critical condition.
Philippe, along with Bianchi's mother Christine, brother Tom and sister Melanie have since maintained a constant bedside vigil.
Speaking for the first time since the accident, Philippe said: "The situation is desperate.
"Every time the telephone goes we know it could be the hospital to tell us Jules is dead.
"He will not give up, I'm sure of that. I can see it. I believe it."
In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, Philippe added: "I speak to him. I know he can hear me.
"His doctors have told us this is already a miracle, no-one has ever survived such a serious accident. But Jules won't give up.
"His trainer Andrea (Ferrari) says if there is one person who can make it happen, with his will, it's Jules."
Philippe concedes the past few days since the accident have been "tough", adding: "In a week the life of this family has been destroyed.
"What are we doing here? Living a nightmare in a place very far from home.
"Everyone keeps asking me how Jules is, but I can't reply, there is no answer. It's very serious, but he's stable.
"One day he seems a bit better, other days a bit worse. The doctors don't say. The damage from the accident is very bad, but we don't know how it will evolve."
Clinging to hope, Philippe said: "When Jules gets a bit better we can transfer him, maybe to Tokyo and things will be a bit easier.
"But who knows when that will happen - if it will happen. We have no certainties, we just have to wait."
Following an investigation into the cause of the crash, FIA race director Charlie Whiting concluded there was "a perfect storm" of conditions.
With heavy rain falling and the light fading, Bianchi smashed into the back of a recovery vehicle that at the time was removing the Sauber of Adrian Sutil who had spun off the track and into a tyre barrier one lap previously.
Although the FIA are due to bring in new safety measures following the incident, Whiting further stated with regard to the incident "nothing could have been done better".
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us