WEXFORD             7

BIRKIRKARA         2

Birkirkara wrapped up their Women's Champions League with a heavy defeat against Wexford as the Irish side emerged 7-2 winners in the final Group 10 qualifier, in Lithuania.

After two encouraging showings in their opening two outings against Gintra Universitetas and KF Vllaznia, the Stripes were hoping to repeat last year's feat when they clinched their first ever point in a European club competition. 

Nonetheless, Wexford had different plans as they were looking to bag all three points that would enable them to finish second in the group .

The Welsh side stamped their authority after the break when they netted five goals to seal a comprehensive victory.

For this game, Birkirkara coach Melania Bajada replaced the suspended Veronique Mifsud with Gabriella Zahra who was back in the fray after a long absence.

Wexford and Birkirkara exchanged proceedings early in the first half with Raina Giusti and Ylenia Carabott coming close to put the Stripes ahead. 

However, a lapse in concentration cost dearly to the Stripes as it was the Irish side who forged ahead.

Kylie Murphy profited from a defensive mistake by the Malta champions and head the ball into the back of the net. 

Moments later, McKenna Davidson doubled the score as Wexford were now enjoying the lions' share of possession. 

Nonetheless, Birkirkara managed to pull one back just before the half-time whistle through Raisa Giusti who capitalised on a Kailey Willis assist to net the Stripes' first goal in this year's edition. 

After the change of ends, Wrexham restored their two-goal advantage as Edel Kennedy tapped the ball home from point-blank range.

From then onwards, Wexford started to step up their pressure and they made it four as Murphy scored her second of the game. 

Cararabott reduced the deficit as she pounced on a mistake from Wrexham's custodian.

However, three late goals from Murphy, Jarrett and substitute Rossiter helped Wrexham wrapped up an emphatic win for the Irish side. 

Wexford: C. Dollad; A. Slattery, L. Dwyer (69 V. Ogbonna), K. Murphy (64 Parrock), R. Cassin, L. Kelly, E. Kennedy, M. Davidson (80 Ryan), C. Rossiter, N. Sinnott, R. Jarrett. 

Birkirkara: J. Xuereb; G. Zahra (62 S. Zarb), A. Said, S. Farrugia, T. Teuma, A. Sultana (87 M. Felice), K. Willis (80 M. Sciberras), R. Giusti, Y. Vella, Y. Carabott, J. Sakic. 

Referee: Rasa Imanalijeva (LTU).

Other results: Vllaznia vs Gintra 1-1.

Final standings: Vllaznia 7; Wexford 6; Gintra 4; Birkirkara 0. 

Standings provided by Sofascore LiveScore


Comments not loading?

We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Comments powered by Disqus