Updated at 10.55am
The family of slain blogger Daphne Caruana Galizia will on Thursday present a 24-page legal opinion to the High Commission in London, calling for a full public inquiry into her death last October.
The BBC reported that the family's lawyers are claiming that the government is not fulfilling its ‘investigative duty’ under the European Convention for Human Rights.
#Malta - new development #DaphneCaruanaGalizia case - family's lawyers presenting 24 page legal opinion to High Commission London today calling for full public inquiry, saying govt not fulfilling investigative duty under European Convention Human Rights.— lyse doucet (@bbclysedoucet) August 9, 2018
"I hope the government will recognise we all have an interest in uncovering what really happened & in asking this crucial question, 'could my mother's life have been saved?'" Son of murdered #Malta journalist #DaphneCaruanaGalizia calls for full public inquiry. @BBCr4today pic.twitter.com/uVV0qs0DXo— lyse doucet (@bbclysedoucet) August 9, 2018
One of Ms Caruana Galizia's son, Paul, told BBC chief international correspondent Lyce Doucet that her murder did not come out of the blue but was the build up over years of threats, arson attacks and more.
Three men have been charged with planting the car bomb which killed the journalist but the mastermind remains at large.
“The Prime Minister of Malta has previously made a public promise that he would leave no stone unturned in relation to the investigation of my mother’s murder. Yet so far he has refused to establish a Public Inquiry to investigate whether her assassination could have been prevented, despite his legal obligation to do so," he subsequently said in a statement. It is hoped that the Prime Minister will respond to today’s request by setting up a Public Inquiry without further delay so that further evidence is not lost. He has nothing to fear but the truth.”
The opinion was prepared by Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC and Jonathan Price of Doughty St Chambers, together with Tony Murphy of Bhatt Murphy.
Dr Murphy said the prime minister had been given till August 31 to reply, and that if he refused to open a pubic inquiry, the family would commence legal proceedings in Malta and perhaps ultimately in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
CommentsComments powered by Disqus
Do not have an account?Sign Up