One of Daphne Caruana Galizia's sons has urged Chris Cardona not to drop a libel cases instituted against his mother - just when the defence is about to present key evidence about the infamous brothel claim.
Paul Caruana Galizia said the minister plans to drop the cases on Thursday to stop the family from presenting evidence that at a brothel in Germany with his aide while on official business.
"Why drop it now, Chris? We don't want you to".
Dr Cardona instituted four libel cases after Ms Caruana Galizia reported that the minister and his aide Joe Gerada had visited a brothel in Germany, the FKK Acapulco in Velbert, while on official business. He strongly denied the claims, which were based on an eyewitness account.
A court had also provisionally upheld a request by the minister to freeze €47,000 in Ms Caruana Galizia's account.
Dropping the case would mean that officials from Vodafone and Go would be unable to give evidence about mobile telephony data which would show the minister's whereabouts on the day.
The Caruana Galizia family had insisted as far back as October, days after the journalist's car bomb murder, that they wanted the case to proceed.
Matthew Caruana Galizia had said in court that Dr Cardona and his legal advisors had an interest to stop the case from moving forward.
"I want to make it clear that we want the case to continue," he said. “Chris Cardona has an interest in stopping the case.”
Paul Lia, the minister's legal counsel, said that there was no such intention.
Last week, Times of Malta reported how, according to witnesses, Dr Cardona had been seen in a Siġġiewi bar chatting with one of the suspects in the Caruana Galizia murder, before and after the crime was committed. The minister denied the claim, after initially saying he did not recall.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us