A controversial proposal to build three hotels along the pristine Xgħajra to Marsascala coastline has not been endorsed by the government, according to the Tourism Minister.

Edward Zammit Lewis said the plans contained in a briefing paper presented to the Consultative Council for the South were the “analysis” of the privatisation unit, a government entity.

He distanced the government from the unit’s plans when asked whether the Tourism Ministry agreed with the proposal.

“This has not been discussed by the Tourism Ministry and at government level, let alone decided upon,” Dr Zammit Lewis said.

The briefing paper, meant to put forward proposals to regenerate the south, was revealed by The Sunday Times of Malta last month.

More in The Times of Malta and the e-paper on timesofmalta.com Premium.

See also http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20141107/local/three-hotels-planned-on-odz-land-in-south.542982