Q: I ordered a new main bedroom from a local supplier and specifically requested a wall-to-wall wardrobe. However, the supplier advised me that since the wardrobe would be made from solid wood it could not be manufactured wall to wall. Hence, I agreed to do it as the supplier suggested. When the bedroom was delivered and assembled, I noticed some faults with the frame and that the sliding doors were not properly installed.

At this point I was informed that the wardrobe was not made of solid wood but was constructed out of chipboard. Even the bedroom’s design was not as agreed. I provided the supplier with a detailed design of how I wanted the bedroom but the one delivered to me was clearly different. Furthermore, during installation, the installers damaged my ceiling and scratched my aluminium glass door.

I complained with the supplier about all these problems and after several arguments agreed to re-do the furniture. After a number of weeks waiting for the furniture, the supplier informed me that he could no longer provide me with the furniture and was now giving me two options. One is a refund of the deposit paid for the bedroom but I would need to return the furniture installed at my house. The other option is that I could keep the bedroom at a discounted price.

I want to keep the bedroom but I do not want to make any additional payments other than the deposit I paid when I ordered it. Am I right in making such a request?

A: When you ordered the bedroom, you were legally entitled to be supplied with the model ordered. Now that the supplier is unable to provide you with the bedroom you originally agreed on, the law gives you the right to cancel the contract of sale and ask for a full refund of any money paid.

However, if the sale is cancelled, the supplier has every right to take back the furniture installed at your house. If you want to keep the bedroom, then you need to reach an agreement with the supplier on the additional amount you need to pay.

As to the damage done to your property during installation, you can ask the seller to either fix the damage at his own expense or refund you the costs you will incur to fix the damages. If the seller refuses your request for compensation, you may then lodge a complaint with the Office for Consumer Affairs.   


Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus