Malta’s first ever registered car, a 1904 Siddeley, originally having the registration number 1, has been brought back to Malta and will be unveiled in Gozo this Saturday.
The car was taken to the UK 44 years ago.
The 1904 Siddeley was shipped back to Malta by Express Trailers.
The car’s early history is still being researched. In 1907 the Siddeley found itself in Gozo where it terrified the Gozitans, who named it “il karrozza tan-nar”, the car of fire. It was the first vehicle, other than that of the horse-drawn variety to be seen on the neighbouring island.
The car was eventually stored in a windmill and forgotten for almost 60years until it was rediscovered again by David Arrigo and Brian Mizzi in 1968. Its discovery is still considered to be the most important ‘Barn Find’ on the Maltese Islands to date. Although in a dilapidated state, it was complete.
It was bought by a British collector and taken to the UK but Mr Arrigo has finally managed to bring it back to Malta.
The public is being invited to attend to the unveiling of the restored Siddeley 1904 in St Francis Square in Victoria Gozo this Saturday at 10am.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us