A group of 44 Somali migrants have arrived in Malta after being rescued from a sinking seven-metre dinghy some 60 nautical miles south of Malta.
The 31 men, 10 women and three children were picked up by AFM patrol boat P 61 and brought to Haywharf at 11.30 a.m.
The boat is believed to have left from the Libyan coast on Saturday and had issued a distress call which was picked up in Rome and relayed to Malta.
The migrants appeared to be in good shape when they were brought ashore, however sources said that the migrants told the soldiers that two of their group died on the boat.
TWO BOATS INTERCEPTED BY ITALIAN FORCES
Another two boats, carrying a total of 81 illegal immigrants, were intercepted by Italian forces in stormy seas yesterday afternoon some 65 nautical miles from Roccella Ionica in southwestern Italy.
One of the two boats sank in a category four storm after the operation.
Libya claims arrest of 400 'illegal immigrants'
Meanwhile, Libya said yesterday that its forces had prevented more than 400 Africans from illegally emigrating towards Italy when they intercepted a boat off the Libyan coast.
"Despite a lack of means, we were able to prevent illegal immigration of people who were heading for Italy," interim interior minister Fawzi Abdelali told reporters.
Abdelali said the problem of illegal immigration would be treated differently by the country's new rulers than the way it was tackled by the previous regime of slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
"Illegal immigration was a means of pressure used by the former regime to blackmail Europe. Now this issue will be treated differently," he said, adding that the new Libya will be focused in tackling the issue.
"We expect support from the world" in preventing such trafficking, he added.
In the port of Tripoli some 420 immigrants were being guarded by former rebels who toppled Gaddafi as well as being monitored by interior ministry officials, an AFP reporter said.
Among them were Ethiopians, Ghanaians, Ivorians and Nigerians.
According to General Joma al-Meshri, a group of former rebels and officers intercepted the boat early yesterday 10 miles off the coast of Tripoli.
A commander of the ex-rebels, Khaled al-Bassir, said they had received information about the vessel's departure, and that three patrol boats had set off to intercept it.
Many of the immigrants said they had become victims of a fraud planned by Libyans to swindle them after they had each paid people smugglers between 1,000 and 1,500 dollars.
They said the incident was a set-up.
Forty-year-old Rania, an Ethiopian, said she had been fooled for the third time in a row.
"Each time one takes the boat, a patrol comes to stop and escorts us to the port," she told AFP.
"You see the captain (of the boat) is still there," she said pointing to a Libyan the boat at the Tripoli docks.
She said it was Libyans who offered to take them to Europe.
"They hid us for two months on a farm in Tajura (an eastern suburb of Tripoli) and each time they told us we must wait as the weather was too bad to go to the sea," she said.
"Last night they asked us to board and we had not spent more than two hours at sea when police boats surrounded us and escorted us to the port. I want to leave to Europe. I do not know where they plan to take us," she said as a Libyan official pressed her to board a bus chartered by the authorities.
A young Nigerian, Emmanuel, said the Libyan officials had taken all their documents.
"They took everything... money, passport, phones. They told us 'you don't need all this in Europe'," he said, accusing the former rebels of "organising this set-up."
For several years, Libya has been a transit country for hundreds of thousands of African immigrants trying to reach Europe in search of a better life.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us