Mosta Athletic were promoted to the top division of Maltese football for the first time in 1973-74. That season is etched with letters of gold in the history of the club.

Mosta made their senior league debut on October 12, 1974 against Floriana. They lost 1-0 but that season they only managed three points and were relegated.

The next season marked another first for Mosta. They took part for the first time in the FA Trophy and celebrated the occasion with a bang.

The Blues created a sensation when they eliminated Hibs 2-0 in the first round. In the second round, they even held mighty Floriana to a draw before going down in the replay.

In 1979-80, the MFA introduced the Premier League. Thus Mosta found themselves in the First Division. The Blues had a disastrous season as they suffered relegation to the third tier of Maltese football.

Mosta's bad form continued in 1980-81 with the team just avoiding the drop to the Third Division after being involved in the play-offs.

In 1981-82 and 1982-83, the club finished in the middle of the table of the second division. Then, in 1983-84, Joe Attard was brought in as coach and he made all the difference.

Attard made a number of changes in the team and these seemed to work wonders because from a team fighting against relegation Mosta were transformed into a side fighting tooth and nail for promotion.

Mosta ended the season in a creditable third place. That year, Mosta also won Minor League section honours and reached the final of the inter-section knock-out where they were beaten by Sta Luċija in a replay.

Mosta were now raring to go and in 1984-85, which happened to be their 50th anniversary, they won the second division championship.

That was a memorable season for the Mosta club. Apart from the championship, Albert Gatt won the player of the year award for second division players and Stephen Cuschieri finished as the league's top-scorer with 12 goals.

Mosta also won Minors and U-21 section honours and, to cap a great season, the Minors team also beat Sliema Wanderers 1-0 in the knock-out final.

Mosta had another good season in 1985-86, finishing third and just missing promotion to the Premier League by a whisker.

Finally, the golden moment Mosta had long been waiting for arrived. At the start of the 1986-87 season, a mass rally was organised by the committee in which it was announced that the team that season would be sponsored by Attard Bros Limited.

This backing strengthened the arms of the committee in its bid to win promotion to the Premier Division for the first time in Mosta's history. The squad was strengthened with the acquisition of Mark Ciantar and Raymond Borg among others.

Mosta started their league commitments with a 0-0 draw against Melita. Then they beat Żejtun Corinthians 2-0 and drew 0-0 with Birkirkara.

The team was now finding its feet and 2-1 victories followed against Gudja United and Senglea Athletics. Mosta then ended the first round with another 1-1 draw against Gżira and a 1-0 victory over Mqabba.

In the second round the championship race developed between Mosta, Birkirkara and Gudja United. Mosta dropped a precious point against Żejtun but they made up for that with a crucial 1-0 victory over Birkirkara.

In their next game, however, they lost 0-2 to Gudja. This setback cut Mosta's lead at the top to a single point. The Blues could not afford to make more mistakes.

With three matches to go for the end of the competition, they beat Senglea 1-0, Gżira 3-2 and Mqabba 2-0 to be crowned champions of Division One for the second time in their history.

Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us