Caseres 7

Volpini 13

MOSTA FC                      3

Romao 21 pen.

Rafael 39

Cisotti 114

(aet; 90 mins 2-2)

Mosta produced a spirited comeback as they recovered from two goals down to beat Senglea Athletic 3-2 after extra-time to progress to the fourth round of the FA Trophy where they will face Sliema Wanderers.

Senglea were off to a a flying start as they took the lead after only seven minutes of play. Rene Caseres outsprinted Tyrone Farrugia, rounded goalkeeper Andreas Vella and hammer the ball into the roof of the net.

Mosta looked rattled and three minutes later Vella had to be alert to push over Karl Cutajar’s cross-shot.

From the ensuing flag-kick, taken by Nicolas Garcia, Brian Volpini showed tremendous skill to adjust his body and fire the ball home with an overhead kick.

Mosta finally threatened on 15 minutes when Massimo Sammartino’s drive was brilliantly parried away by Philip Schranz.

It could have been 3-0 on 19 minutes when Manuel Guillari nodded the ball into the path of Caseres who flicked wide from routine distance.

They paid dearly for this miss as Mosta pulled a goal back on 21 minutes when Romeo Romao converted a penalty awarded for a handball by Brandon Muscat.

Ferdinand Salvati came to Senglea’s rescue on 29 minutes when he cleared off the line James Brincat’s header that looked destined to hit the back of the net.

But Mosta were not to be denied as on 38 minutes they drew level. From a Cisotti corner-kick, the ball fell to Rafael who fired the ball into the net.

Two minutes into the second half, Guinari almost put Senglea back in front but his low drive just whizzed the upright.

Vellla came to Mosta’s rescue on 59 minutes when he somehow kept out Caseres firm drive from close in.

The Cottonera side missed another glorious chance on 63 minutes when Vella somehow kept out Caceres shot and from the rebound Volpini’s effort was blocked by Tyrone Farrugia.

The match became a scrappy affair with the next chance coming three minutes from time when Salvati’s inswinger was somehow smothered by Vella as the match went into extra time.

In the first half of extra-time each side had one opportunity with Tyrone Farrugia head wide for Mosta while at the other end, Gilbert Martin was denied by Vella.

Roach should have won it for Mosta nine minutes from time but he incredibly fired over in front of a gaping goal after N’Guessan’s stormy run.

Mosta did clinch the winner on 124 minutes when Roach’s shot was blocked by Schranz but from the rebound Cisotti hit home from the rebound.


Comments not loading?

We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Comments powered by Disqus