Swimmer Andrew Chetcuti will be Malta’s flagbearer during the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
This was announced by the Maltese Olympic Committee during a news conference during which it said that seven athletes are being lined up to form part of the Malta contingent for the upcoming Games.
The Malta team will be formed by shooters William Chetcuti and Eleonor Bezzina, swimmers Nicola Muscat and Chetcuti and weightlifter Kyle Micallef .
In track and field Charlotte Wingfield has been joined by Luke Bezzina, who has been provisionally named as a replacement for Kevin Moore, who is facing a doping hearing after returning a positive test last month.
Maltese Olympic Committee president Julian Pace Bonello said that Malta is fielding its biggest contingent for the past 16 years and their goal is that every athlete produces its best ever performance or result in their particular discipline.
Mr Pace Bonello hit out at reports that there was any preferential treatment in the selection of athletes and said that the MOC did everything it could so that it could compete with its best possible team.
The games open on August 5.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.Support Us