This monument to Sir Frederick Cavendish Ponsomby, who was governor of Malta between 1827 and 1836, was erected in 1838 on St Andrew's Bastion close to Triq il-Mitħna by the side of Hastings Garden.
It consisted of a Doric column 21 meters high topped by a stone funerary urn.
The monument was damaged by an earthquake in 1856 and then struck by lightning in 1874. The surviving base of the column was dismantled and re-erected on St Michael's Bastion in 1880. The remains of the square base are of local hard stone comprising a plinth on a three-stepped base.
Above the plinth is a garland surrounding the base of the column. On the front of the plinth there is an inscription with a dedication and another inscription in memory of the monument being struck by lightning.
Mepa scheduled Ponsomby's Column as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28.