Two new COVID-19 cases were reported from 1,143 tests, Superintendent of Public Health, Charmaine Gauci, said on Wednesday.

They are a Maltese woman and a healthcare worker both of whom had been in contact with known cases.

Gauci said 436 patients had recovered so far, including two patients who were declared recovered in the past 24 hours.

There are now 66 active cases.

A 24-year-old Maltese woman living with a coronavirus patient is one of the new cases. She developed symptoms on Tuesday but was already in quarantine.

The second is a 33-year-old Maltese female healthcare worker at Karin Grech Hospital who displayed symptoms on Tuesday and last worked on May 8.

Quarantine relaxed at Ħal Far 

Gauci described the current situation as stable, with the new cases having been linked to known cases. There are now no COVID-19 patients at Mater Dei Hospital but there are two at Boffa Hospital and four at St Thomas Hospital.

Meanwhile quarantine will be lifted for most migrants at the Ħal Far centre at midnight on Wednesday, as they were last in contact with a case reported on April 30. However, another four who were in contact with another case on May 1 will remain in isolation until Friday. 


Browsing on a desktop PC? Check out the full version of this data dashboard.

Asked about healthcare workers who test positive, Gauci said they were a 'target group' for testing. So far, 30 healthcare workers have tested positive.

Healthcare workers who are symptomatic do not turn up for work and are tested for COVID-19, while those who clocked in went through routine testing.

However, the best prevention was the wearing of protective equipment, she said.

Gauci added that staff followed specific instructions, based on risk assessments, on when and where to wear masks and visors.

While confirming that the surgeon who died overnight had been in hospital for separate treatment of his pre-existing condition, Gauci did not say which ward he was in when he contracted COVID-19.

Once he tested positive he was transferred first to the Infectious Diseases Unit and then intensive care. Gauci expressed her condolences to his family and colleagues.


Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us