• Purchase of goods or services made off premises are regulated by a specific legislation that gives consumers additional rights and protection.
• Off premises purchases are protected by a 14-day cooling off period that allows consumers to change their mind, cancel the sale and claim full refund of the money paid.
• When consumers are not properly informed about the right of withdrawal, this right is extended to a whole year.
• Sellers must be notified in writing about the consumers’ intention to cancel the sale as it is the consumers’ responsibility to provide proof that the sale was cancelled within the legal limit.
• If the unwanted goods are too bulky to return by post, the off-premises seller is obliged to collect the goods at no additional expense to the consumer.
Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority
Office for Consumer Affairs
MCCAA office hours for the public:
Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 12.30pm
European Consumer Centre Malta
(For complaints against traders in other EU states)
47A, South Street,
Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 3pm.
Tel: 2122 1901