10 years ago - The Sunday Times
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Nurse said inmate had no injuries
A nurse who saw a Dutch inmate shortly after he was allegedly beaten by prison guards last week said the man did not require medical attention, even though he was referred to hospital a day later with a broken arm and ribs.
The detail, which was revealed to The Sunday Times by prison director Sandro Gatt, adds a new twist to the incident. Yesterday, four prison guards were charged after allegedly beating 32-year-old drug trafficker Perry Ingomar Toornstra.
The guards – Francis Debono, Francis Meli, Daniel Cuschieri and George Falzon – pleaded not guilty to violently assaulting Mr Toornstra. Mr Debono and Mr Meli, both experienced guards, were also separately charged with “carelessly” allowing Mr Toornstra to escape. They were all denied bail and remanded in custody.
The Dutchman gave the guards the slip on the morning of August 9 as he was being returned to the Corradino Correctional Facility after being granted an hour’s prison leave to see his mother.
He only managed to make it to Paola square, however, before being apprehended by the guards who then took him to the prison and allegedly beat him repeatedly.
25 years ago - The Times
Tuesday, August 17, 1993
Juggernaut overturns, driver escapes with slight injury
A juggernaut which was carrying a 12-metre container overturned in Valletta Road, Marsa, yesterday at 10.30am as the driver was negotiating a bend.
The truck came to rest on its side on the pavement, near the Emlite Batteries plant.
The driver, Anthony Micallef, was injured in the accident. He was admitted to St Luke’s Hospital, treated for an injury in his arm, but later released. There were no passengers in the truck’s cabin.
Three cranes were called to the spot to right the container, an operation which took more than two hours.
Stone throwing lands man in court
An 18-year-old from Cospicua yesterday faced charges of causing wilful damage on July 15 at his hometown.
Anthony Sant was charged with having thrown a large stone at a car belonging to John Azzilla and with throwing stones and a glass bottle at the window and front door of a house in Cospicua.
Half a century ago - Times of Malta
Saturday, August 17, 1968
Governor General leads donors to blood bank
His Excellency the Governor General Sir Maurice Dorman yesterday gave the first blood donation to the Blood Bank set up by the Maltese Association of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta in conjunction with the Cathedral Chapter.
The other four donors were Mgr C. Coleiro, representing the clergy in Malta; Rear Admiral G. Taglietti, representing Nato and the Italian Navy; E, Micallef and C. Tabone representing the general public.
P. Farrugia, director of the Blood Bank, in a short address said that the need of blood was getting greater and unless many people became blood donors the supply would not keep pace with the growing demand.
“May I appeal to all the employers to afford facilities to their employees by giving them time off to come to our centre whether for blood donation or blood grouping.”
He added that some industrial organisations have offered to send their employees for blood donation, including a group of workmen from the Ministry of Public Works, which will be the first group from Government departments.