10 years ago - The Times

Friday, February 13, 2009

14 bids for shipyards’ facilities

Fourteen bids were received for the privatisation of the Malta Shipyards yesterday, when the international call for offers closed. Although the government had previously received 52 expressions of interest from prospective bidders, the Privatisation Unit only received 14 bids from consortia in Europe and Asia.

Some of the bidders are composed of Maltese and foreign companies. Still, Finance Minister Tonio Fenech described the response as positive when seen in the context of the international financial and economic situation.

The bids will be opened on Monday and the evaluation process will get underway to choose the preferred bidder for each of the four facilities on offer.

Parents worried about internet abuse

Half of Maltese parents are very worried their children can be bullied or abused on the internet, according to a survey conducted by the European Commission. More than half the parents interviewed for the survey also said they do not allow children who are under 18 to create a personal profile on one of the many social networks.

25 years ago - The Sunday Times

Sunday, February 13, 1994

Man dies in Għargħur fireworks factory blast

A 71-year-old man died and another was injured yesterday when the Birkirkara St Helen Fireworks factory blew up.

Mr Ninu Borg of Birkirkara was inside the factory together with five other fireworks enthusiasts when the explosion occurred just after 9.30am. Nearby residents said they heard three successive explosions.

Mr Borg was found dead under the rubble.

Another fireworks enthusiast, Mr Albert Borg, suffered facial injuries. He was helped out from beneath some rubble by his mates.

Birkirkara fireworks enthusiasts met each weekend at the factory to manufacture fireworks for the feast of St Helen.

Prisoner couple wed

Two jailbirds turned lovebirds and got married in Valletta yesterday to make history.

Alfred Bugeja, 36, (Il-Porporina), who gained publicity last year after his escape from the civil prisons, married Helen Azzopardi, 26, also a prison inmate.

The two were caught by the police in an apartment in St Paul’s Bay last year after Bugeja had been on the run for 18 days. Azzopardi was sought by the police to serve a five-year prison sentence.

Half a century ago - Times of Malta

Thursday, February 13, 1969

Publication’s editor sued for damages

Mr Joseph Marinelli on behalf of the Workers and Family Union has sued for damages Mr Lino Cassar in his capacity as editor of Ix-Xewka, in the first Hall of the Civil Court.

Mr Marinelli, referring to an article entitled “This is Malta” which appeared in Ix-Xewka of December 28, 1968, alleged in his writ of summons that the reputation of the said Union had been seriously damaged and even ridiculed by the above mentioned article.

He therefore asked the court to condemn Mr Cassar to pay him an amount of damages which the Court deemed fit. In such cases the law establishes a maximum of £400.

The relevant article criticises the Workers and Family Union for pressing its claims on a matter on which the General Workers Union and Dr V. Tabone, Minister of Labour, Employment and Welfare had reached an agreement.

Charged with leaving children in need

Edward Sammut, 50, of Sliema, was yesterday charged before Magistrate Dr Debono with having left his children in need during the last three months.

Comments

Comments not loading?

We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Comments powered by Disqus