The Spanish woman who died in Monday's horrific sightseeing bus crash was due to travel home just hours after the fateful tour, relatives revealed to Times of Malta.

Elisaveta Avdala, 37, died on the spot. 

"She was literally spending her last hours before travelling exploring the southern part of the island. She liked Malta so much that she even wanted to move her business there to enjoy the island life and the sea.

"Unfortunately, none of this will ever happen and we - relatives and friends remain devastated - trying to be strong and to cope with the situation in the way as she always taught us to do it - with smiles and positive energy," they told the Times of Malta.

Describing her as always full of joy, they said that she faced with a "big smile" even the most difficult situations in life.

"An always learning personality, she never stopped to learn, travel, improve," they wrote.

READ: 'He was a force to be reckoned with': tearful tribute to Belgian victim  

Eli, as she was known, was a Bulgarian of Jewish origin, an entrepreneur, life coach and a teacher of English in Barcelona, where she had been living for the past 17 years.

In a 2015 interview with a Catalan magazine, Ms Avdala’ spoke of her love story with her adopted home.

“I arrived without any work experience, much less a university basckground. I had many dreams to be free, to learn and discover. I fell in love with Barcelona continuously inspires me,” she had recalled. 

Ms Avdala' was also a gender equality activist, setting up an art and education project titled Wo-Man XXI.

"Change lies within each and every one of us - this is our strength," she told La Columna.

Her Facebook post showed that she was celebrating Ortodox Easter in Malta.Her Facebook post showed that she was celebrating Ortodox Easter in Malta.

The distraught friend, Petia Rousseva, said she and other friends and relatives were determined to find out what had actually happened, insisting that they also wanted to make sure that no other innocent lives were ever taken away by "safety omittance and carelessness".

"We will seek justice for her death till the end. We will do this because we know that if she was alive she would have done the same. This was literally the last trip of the bus on the south line since accident happened after 4pm, so the same bus has for sure passed below the deadly tree more than once on the very same day without any accidents reported.

"Photos we saw suggest that the collision was with one of the main trunks of the tree and was quite strong but we will first wait what the official investigation will tell us."

Ms Avdala was one of two people killed in the Monday afternoon crash, along with 62-year-old Belgian Koen de Vrieze. 50 others were injured in the crash. 

Sign up to our free newsletters

Get the best updates straight to your inbox:
Please select at least one mailing list.

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By subscribing, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing.